Take me back to the Mizzou IQ page
Test Your Mizzou IQ Archives
Past answers for Tiger Tradition Trivia:
*A special thanks to Campus Facilities, University of Missouri Archives, Publications and Alumni Communications for supplying some of the following information and graphics.
What popular annual celebration did MU College of Engineering students introduce in 1903?
B: Valentine's Day
C: St. Patrick's Day
Answer: C. St. Patrick's Day
MU engineering students introduced their own St. Patrick’s Day celebration to the Mizzou campus in 1903, but the way the tradition actually started is one part legend, one part history and still largely a mystery.
According to one account, students “discovered” that St. Patrick was an engineer during an excavation for the Engineering Annex Building. The workers unearthed a stone inscribed with the ancient message “Erin Go Bragh”; although this message really means “Ireland Forever,” the engineers loosely translated it to “St. Patrick was an Engineer.” Since then, students have referred to the stone as their “Blarney Stone” and cited the legend of St. Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland as proof of his capabilities as an engineer.
Another version of the story states that the tradition began March of 1903 in an engineering classroom or library, where a group of students waited for their class to begin. Because engineering students at the time attended classes six days a week, the group began lamenting that holidays were so few and far between. Their instructor, Professor Greene, was very late that day, and thus the students were looking for an excuse to cut class. Reasoning that St. Patrick’s Day was approaching and that its namesake was an engineer, the students began urging their fellow engineers to cut class on St. Patrick’s Day via notices around the Engineering Building and Academic Hall.
Today, Mizzou’s St. Pat’s celebration has expanded into Engineering Week: a festival hosted by the College of Engineering, which includes lab exhibits, a food drive, a knighting ceremony, the coronation of the King and Queen of Engineers and more.
Read more about St. Patrick's Day at Mizzou
Mizzou has the nation’s most powerful university research reactor and is the largest U.S. supplier of what critical material?
B: Uranium fuel
Answer: A. Radioisotopes
Mizzou is the largest U.S. producer of radioisotopes. Also known as radionuclides, radioisotopes are atoms with unstable nuclei. Their instability gives them excess energy that causes atoms to ionize and produce gamma rays and subatomic particles.
In layman’s terms, the radiation produced by radioisotopes gives atoms such high energy that they become capable of killing tumor cells and bacteria. The scientific community has found many uses for these special atoms including for the treatment of cancer, sterilization of foodstuffs, food preservation and the study of erosion in the mining industry.
The gamma rays they produce also make radioisotopes useful for tracing both pollutants in water and chemicals in the human body that indicate organ failure.
The historic MU campus is also a botanic garden. How many plants and trees are featured in the general landscape and in numerous thematic and special settings?
Answer: C. 42,000
Established in 1999, the historic MU campus is home to 42,000 plants and trees. It was created as a part of the campus beautification efforts under Chancellor Richard Wallace.
The gardens have 18 collections including 11 thematic and seven special collections. Most of these collections were donated by alumni and friends of the university, and all are open year round and free to the public.
Like any beautiful garden, this impressive display of greenery doesn’t maintain itself; it is estimated that each year, the university plants between 600 and 1,000 new trees and shrubs along with several thousand annual flowers and a variety of herbaceous perennials.
Some of the most unique plants in the gardens include the large pin oak by Schlundt Hall (the largest tree on campus) and a selection of persimmon trees by the chemistry building, which supposedly produce fruit double the size of a normal persimmon.
Read more about the Mizzou botanic gardens.
MU offers 317 degree and certificate programs to help students reach their career and personal goals. How many schools and colleges does Mizzou have?
Answer: A. 19
317 degree options are available from Mizzou’s 19 schools and colleges. These include a school of law, a school of medicine and a college of veterinary medicine; Mizzou is one of only five schools in the nation that has all three. Likewise, MU’s School of Journalism is recognized as one of the best in the nation.
For more information about Mizzou’s schools and colleges, visit the Mizzou Office of Admissions website.
More than 1,400 educational, social and cultural programs are offered annually at Mizzou. Eighty-seven percent of MU students participate in campus activities, including more than ______ student organizations.
Answer: B. 700
There are more than 700 student organizations on Mizzou’s campus and numerous other activities available to help students get involved. MU has been home to student organizations since 1842, when the Athenaean Literary Society was founded.
Since then, the list of available activities has expanded to include everything from 1-dollar movie screenings to improvisational theater groups to student government. Needless to say, there is plenty to do on campus.
See the complete list of student organizations or find out about other campus activities.
Mizzou educates the workforce. How many Tigers graduated in 2012-13? They join a living alumni base of how many?
A. 10,000 and 314,000
B. 6,000 and 245,000
C. 4,000 and 218,000
D. 8,000 and 271,000
Answer: D. 8,000 and 271,000
8,000 Tigers graduated in 2012-13 and joined a living alumni base of 271,000. Many successful entrepreneurs, scientists, journalists, actors and other professionals call Mizzou their alma mater. Over 40,000 of these alumni are members of the Mizzou Alumni Association.
For a list of some of Mizzou's most famous alumni, visit our notable alumni page.
KOMU-TV, MU’s university-owned commercial network affiliate with a newsroom used as a training lab for students, is one of how many university-owned TV network affiliates in the United States?
A. It is the only one.
Answer: A. It is the only one.
KOMU is the country’s only university-owned TV network affiliate and reaches 40,000 in 15 counties. Jump-started by the vision of Mizzou journalism professor Edward C. Lambert, it began airing an analog signal in December 1953. This signal allowed KOMU to carry programming from each of the four major networks available at the time.
Over the years, it gained affiliations with networks such as NBC, ABC and CNN and eventually became part of the CW in 2006. Likewise, KOMU has won numerous awards including the Payne Award for Ethics in Journalism in 2002, the National Edward R. Murrow Award in 2009 and several Mid-America Emmies.
Today, KOMU is recognized as a top-notch training tool for future TV reporters and producers in Missouri’s broadcast journalism program.
Learn more about KOMU-TV or view a list of its awards.
MU is home to Sanborn Field, the oldest continuously used research plot west of the Mississippi River (and second oldest in the U.S.) Sanborn Field was also the site of landmark studies in crop rotation that are the basis for today’s sustainable agriculture and the location where aureomycin, the first tetracycline antibiotic, was discovered. What year was Sanborn Field started?
Answer: C. 1888
Sanborn Field was established in 1888 and became the first facility in the United States created to measure crop erosion and runoff for differing crops. Sanborn also played a role in the U.S. soil conservation movement.
Although scientists started researching soil properties on the field in 1914, Sanborn didn’t gain real notoriety until 1945, when New York pathologist and physiologist Dr. Benjamin Duggar took an interest in its soil. A former MU botany professor, Duggar was looking for an antibiotic superior to penicillin and decided to contact the university for some soil samples. His search led him to one of MU’s early soil microbiologists Dr. William Albrecht, who sent him a sample from Plot 23: an area of Sanborn field with untreated soil.
What Duggar found in the soil sample was remarkable: a golden mold that suppressed the growth of streptococci among other microorganisms. Later dubbed Streptomyces aureofaciens, the mold produced a highly effective antibiotic that could be used against bacterial infections, typhus as well as spotted fevers.
The discovery landed Duggar’s soil sample in the Smithsonian Institution and Sanborn Field into the medical history books.
Learn more about Sanborn Field or read about the discovery of aureomycin.
Between 2001-11, MU was the fastest growing public member of the Association of American Universities, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. Total enrollment at MU has grown from 26,805 students (fall 2003) to ________ students (fall 2013).
Answer: D. Just over 34,500
Over the course of a decade, the University of Missouri’s enrollment has grown from 26,805 students (fall 2003) to 34,658 students (fall 2013)—that’s nearly 30 percent. Additionally, Hispanic enrollment grew 160 percent and African American enrollment went up by 81 percent.
As Missouri’s largest public research university, MU attracts a very large and diverse population of students. In fact, there were record numbers of international students and out-of-state students this year, which made the fall 2013 student body the most diverse in Mizzou’s history.
Learn more about Mizzou's student body in our pride points.
MU was the first public university west of the Mississippi River in Thomas Jefferson’s Louisiana Purchase territory.MU’s achievements include the world’s first School of Journalism. What year was the School of Journalism founded?
Answer: B. 1908
Affectionately known as the “j-school,” The Missouri School of Journalism was founded in 1908 as the world’s first journalism school. The day it opened, Sept. 15, its students set out to prove they weren’t only the first but also the best; the first class of the day had the task of preparing the first issue of the University Missourian. This publication would later be renamed the Columbia Missourian.
Still, it would take more than the swift production of a single issue to prove the value of a university journalism curriculum, and the idea of offering journalism as a course of study had been met with heavy public opposition. Many believed that newspaper writing and production were trades that didn’t belong in an academic setting. The idea was even turned down in 1895 by the Missouri State Senate, which also forbade the university from granting journalism degrees.
It wasn’t until Walter Williams, a university curator and editor of the Columbia Missouri Herald, promoted the establishment of a journalism school that the idea gained traction. Williams would also serve as the j-school’s first dean.
Today, the University of Missouri School of Journalism is recognized internationally for its “Missouri Method,” which gives students hands-on, real-world experiences in their chosen course of study.
Learn more about the history of the journalism school.
Fill in the lyrics:
Every true son, so happy-hearted
Skies above us are blue.
There's a spirit so deep within us
Old Missouri, here's to you! (Rah! Rah!)
When the band plays the Tiger war song
And when the fray is through
We will ____ ______ ______ _______ ____ _______
With a cheer for old Mizzou!
A. stomp, stomp, stomp across the field
B. march, march, march over the jayhawks
C. tromp, tromp, tromp right over you
D. tramp, tramp, tramp around the Columns
Answer: D. tramp, tramp tramp around the Columns
It’s hard to say how long the famous school song, “Every True Son/Daughter,” has been a Mizzou tradition, but the tune's origins suggest that it was some time after WWI. Adapted from an Irish folk song, the melody was originally published as a song called “It’s a Long Way to Tipperary,” which became one of the U.K.’s earliest hits of the first World War. It was written by a fishmonger named Jack Judge in 1912 after someone allegedly bet the part-time entertainer that he could not write a performable song in one night. Judge’s parents were Irish, and Tipperary was the region of Ireland that his grandparents were from.
Because it was an immensely popular song of its era, it’s no wonder that that Mizzou decided to use a version of “It’s a Long Way to Tipperary” as its fight song. Not only was the tune simple, familiar and therefore easy to memorize, its spirited tones, which captured national pride and longing for home during wartime, also perfectly embodied the spirit of battle on the athletic field. Learn more about Mizzou's fight songs.
Which building on campus was the first to be funded by an alumnus donation?
A: Swallow Hall
B: Neff Hall
C: Reynolds Alumni Center
D: Lowry Hall
Answer: B. Neff Hall
Jay H. Neff Hall is one of eight structures associated with the School of Journalism and sits in between the Journalism Arch and Gannett Hall at the far end of Francis Quadrangle. Opened in 1920, this building has the distinction of being not only the oldest of the Journalism School’s facilities but also the first building on campus to be donated by an alumnus.
Ward Neff, a J-school graduate, decided to donate the building to the university in 1917 to show his appreciation and support of the program. He named it in honor of his father, former Kansas City Mayor Jay H. Neff, who also founded several agricultural publications.
When it first opened, Neff Hall made an immediate impact on the Journalism School; because it included its own printing press, the Columbia Missourian was able to expand from a six-column newspaper to an eight-column and double its number of pages. The building received new entrance doors in 1936 and an addition in 1959, but the original design from 1918 remains intact.
Today, Neff Hall is recognized on the National Register of Historic Places and holds mainly classrooms, offices and computing sites. Learn more.
What was the Geyer Act?
A: Allowed women entry into MU.
Answer: B. Set up the organization and powers of the university.
B: Set up the organization and powers of the university.
C: Created MU's Intercollegiate Athletics.
D: Code of conduct for MU students.
Who was Henry S. Geyer? Henry S. Geyer was born in Frederick, Md. in 1790. He left a post with the Maryland Infantry in 1812 and moved to St. Louis where his legal career flourished. At the age of 28, he was elected to the territorial assembly (Missouri was still just a territory and therefore had no state assembly). After Missouri became a state in 1821, Geyer served in the Missouri House of Representatives and was elected House Speaker three times in four years. He also helped to revise several state laws and was known to use sarcasm, irony and a biting wit in his arguments.
In the1830s Geyer began to assess educational policy and gained his claim to fame. The Geyer Act of 1939 not only established the University of Missouri but also advocated that a public school system in Missouri be put into effect at the primary, secondary and university levels. Although the latter part of the plan was not put into effect until much later, Geyer is now remembered as “the Father of the University of Missouri” and recognized as one of the most capable lawyers in Missouri’s history. Learn more about the Geyer Act.
Mizzou hosts a school of medicine, veterinary medicine, engineering, agriculture and law all on one campus. How many American public universities have all five disciplines?
Answer: B. Six
What is the correct name for where a
number of tigers occur together?
B: Streak / Ambush
D: Roam / Rage
Answer: B. Streak / Ambush
What is the seating capacity for Mizzou Arena?
Answer: C. 15,061
Just a short walk up Memorial Drive from Faurot Field is the raucous Mizzou Arena. The basketball arena has held sold-out crowds of more than 15,000 on a regular basis and has been named as one of the nation's loudest and most energetic college basketball environments. A large bleacher section for student groups like the Zou Crew and the Antlers stands on the west end of the court, where much of the in-game fan rowdiness originates. The lower level of Mizzou Arena hold administration offices, training facilities and a practice gym. MU's student newspaper, the Maneater, reports the location of Mizzou Arena makes for long, cold treks during the winter to attend games, but the sheer adrenaline rush each game brings is well worth the hike.
How long is MU women’s golf streak for team appearances in the NCAA Regional Tournament?
A: 4 years in a row
B: 5 years in a row
C: 6 years in a row
D: 7 years in a row
Answer: C. 6 years in a row
The MU women’s golf team appeared in the NCAA Central Regional and East Regional every year from 2003-2008. This also included a 16th-place standing in the NCAA championships in 2005 with a score of 1205. Learn more
How much was the cost of admission to the first annual “All Sports Night” at Brewer Field House, the first sports exhibition where women and men jointly participated?
A: 10 cents
B: 25 cents
C: 75 cents
D: One dollar
Answer: B. 25 cents
The first “All Sports Night” was held on March 22, 1932. The exhibition featured 200 women and 175 men. Women participated in volleyball, basketball, swimming, dancing and tumbling, while men participated in track, basketball and tumbling. Proceeds from the 25-cent admission fee went to the American Olympic Fund.
How many times has the Mizzou
Men’s Basketball team reached the
Elite Eight in the NCAA
Answer: D. 4.
The Missouri Men’s Basketball team reached the Elite Eight in 1976 and 1994 under Norm Steward, 2002 under Quin Snyder, and 2009 under Mike Anderson. They have yet to reach the Final Four in the tournament. Learn more about Men's Basketball
Which famous writer, who now has a
residence hall named after his pen
name, received an honorary degree
at the University of Missouri in 1902?
A: Theodore Dreiser
Clemens, more notoriously known as Mark Twain, is famous for his masterpieces The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. He discusses his honorary degree from MU in his autobiography: “I rejoiced again when Missouri University made me a Doctor of Laws…I not knowing anything about laws except how to evade them and not get caught.”
B: Henry James
C: Upton Sinclair
D: Samuel Clemens
Answer: D. Samuel Clemens
Which Emmy-award-winning anchor was once a Tiger mascot during her undergrad years at Mizzou?
A: Elizabeth Vargas
B: Jann Carl
C: Lisa Myers
D: Colleen McEdwards
Answer: B. Jann Carl
Carl is a Carthage, Mo. native and graduated from Mizzou in 1982 with a degree in journalism. She is a past correspondent and anchor of Entertainment Tonight and was awarded a Faculty Alumni Award in 2009 for her ongoing volunteerism and service to her alma mater.
Who was Faurot Field named for in 1972?
A: Dan Faurot
B: David Faurot
C: Don Faurot
D: Damion Faurot
Answer: C. Don Faurot
A native of Mountain Grove, Mo., Faurot lettered at MU in football (1923-24), basketball (1922-23-24) and baseball (1923-24). Faurot returned to MU as head football coach in 1935. During his 19 seasons leading the Tigers, his teams went 101-79-10, won three leagued championships (1939, '41 and '42) and went to the Orange, Sugar and Gator (twice) Bowl games. He invented the Split-T offense in 1941. Faurot was inducted into the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame in 1961. Faurot served as MU athletic director from 1935-42 and 1946-66. The playing surface at Memorial Stadium was named in his honor in 1972.
In what conference did the Tiger football team compete before they joined the Big Six Conference in 1928? (which would evolve into the Big Seven, then Big Eight)
A. Great Plains Athletic Conference
B. Western Interstate Football
D. Missouri Valley Conference
Answer: D. Missouri Valley Conference
From 1907 until they joined the Big Eight Conference in 1928, the Missouri Tigers were a part of the Missouri Valley Conference. "The Valley," as it is informally known, is the second-oldest NCAAA Division I conference in the nation. During MIzzou’s 21 seasons in the Missouri Valley Conference, they were five-time conference champions and one-time co-champions. Learn more
What is the largest tree on the main MU campus?
A: A Chestnut-leafed elm in Peace Park
B: A pin oak north of Schlundt Hall
C: A white oak south of Hill Hall
D: A green ash tree behind Gywn Hall
Answer: B. A pin oak north of Schlundt Hall
The largest tree on the main campus area is a pin oak north of Schlundt Hall with a diameter exceeding 50 inches .
The largest tree on campus is an American Elm with a 51.5 inch diameter at last measure. Learn more
What famous campus hangout was located where the Reynolds Alumni Center now stands?
A: Italian Village
B: The Shack
D: Middle Earth
Answer: B. The Shack
The Shack evolved from a simple sandwich cart in the 1920s to a dimly lit bar in the 1980s.The Reynolds Alumni Center, dedicated on April 10, 1992, now stands on the corner of Conley and Maryland Avenues. The original site of "The Shack" is now the circular driveway in front of the Alumni Center. The Beetle Bailey® sculpture was moved from Pocket Park to its permanent location directly east of the Alumni Center driveway in 1999. Finally, Beetle® and his booth occupy a prominent spot on the MU campus close to the site that served as inspiration for the goldbricking character. Learn more
What does Mizzou’s Latin motto
Salus Populi translate to in English?
A. The Welfare of the People
B. The Success of the Population
C. Excellence in Every Degree
D. The Safety of All
Answer: A.The Welfare of the People
What is the name of the ice cream
flavor made and sold at Buck’s Ice
Cream on campus, and served to
freshmen during Tiger Walk?
B: Mizzou Mud Pie
C: Tiger Stripe
Answer: C. Tiger Stripe
Ice cream research and the University of Missouri go back a long way. One of MU's first research bulletins, No. 128, published in 1929, described the effects of pressure in the manufacture of ice cream. MU's favorite flavor, Tiger Stripe ice cream, was developed through research efforts lead by Robert Marshall, now the Arbuckle Professor Emeritus. His earlier research on ice cream centered on methods to measure taste and the survival of bacteria in frozen yogurts.
The current ice cream plant, an adjacent analytical laboratory and a new Buck's Ice Cream Parlor were opened in 1989. Tiger Stripe consists of gold-colored French vanilla for the ice cream base and dark Dutch chocolate for the stripes (89 and 11 percent by volume respectively). The trick is making realistic-looking tiger stripes. After experimentation the variegating pump, its volume cut back by two-thirds and operating at its minimum capacity, swirled the chocolate into the French vanilla to create a realistic tiger stripe. Learn more
Approximately what percentage of MU grads live inside the State of Missouri?
A: 45 percent
B: 55 percent
C: 65 percent
D: 75 percent
Answer: B. 55 percent
According to the fall 2011 living graduates count, more than 130,000 of MU’s 233,000 living graduates reside inside the state of Missouri with the largest living alumni clusters in St. Louis (50,320), Kansas City (25,589), Boone County (24,270) and Springfield (4,056). Chapters were formed for these areas as follows: Kansas City: 1882, St. Louis: 1890, Boone County: 1906, Springfield: 1906. Learn more about alumni chapters inside Missouri.
MU's first master's degrees were awarded in:
Answer: B. 1846
The graduate school provides administrative support to 90+ graduate degree programs across campus and administrative oversight for interdisciplinary (area) graduate programs in genetics, neuroscience and nuclear science and the Masters of Public Heath (MPH) programs. As an academic unit, the graduate school also confers a Minor in College Teaching. The Graduate School offers 96 master's degree programs, 71 doctoral degree programs and 6 educational specialist degree programs. Learn more
The campus is divided historically and architecturally into the White Campus
and the Red Campus. When does the beginning of White Campus date from?
Answer: B. 1900
The Red Campus, centered around Francis Quadrangle, dates to before the turn of the century and features buildings of red brick manufactured at local refractories. Dating from 1900, the White Campus spreads east and south of the Red Campus and derives its name from the exterior building walls of locally quarried white limestone. More recently constructed buildings in each campus area have maintained these architectural styles and colors. Many of the older buildings have been renovated to house modern and efficient classrooms and laboratories but retain their exterior character. More
What year was the University of Missouri System created?
Answer: D. 1963
The University of Missouri System was created in 1963 with the addition of campuses in the two urban areas of Missouri. An entirely new campus was started in St. Louis, and the private University of Kansas City became the University of Missouri-Kansas City. MU remains the largest of the four institutions in terms of enrollment, course selection and degrees offered. Read more
In the year 1870, under the terms of the Morrill Act of 1862, the university was accorded ________ status, which prompted the legislature to authorize a School of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts for Columbia and to open a second campus to house the School of Mines and Metallurgy at Rolla.
A: academic excellence
C: eminent domain
D: lifetime learning
Answer: B. land-grant
Certain aspects of the University of Missouri date back to the founding of the Columbia campus in 1839. Since then, the institution has developed into a system of campuses serving Missourians border to border. As the first publicly-supported institution of higher education established in the Louisiana Purchase territory, the university has been largely influenced by the ideals and philosophy of Thomas Jefferson, an advocate of public higher education. Today, Jefferson’s name is associated with many awards, groups and facilities of the university.
The university remained a single campus at Columbia until the School of Mines and Metallurgy was established at Rolla in 1870. About the same time, the university also assumed land-grant responsibilities for providing higher educational opportunities for all citizens. More
Called a "bold and hazardous
undertaking" at the time, women
were admitted to all classes at
Answer: B. 1871
In 1867 women were first admitted, but only to the Normal, or Teachers, School. Called a "bold and hazardous undertaking" at the time, women were admitted to all classes by 1871.
In the 100-year history of MU Homecoming, what year was the celebration cancelled due to influenza?
Answer: B. 1918
The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. Learn more
In MU's early days, the campus included a lake which was a popular place for boating in the summer and ice skating during the winter. The lake was also a popular courting place. What was the name of the since-forgotten lake?
A: Lake Columbia
B: Lake Saint Mary
C: Lake Rachford
D: Tiger Lake
Answer: B. Lake Saint Mary
It has been forgotten by most over the years but, during the first 50-plus years of the university's existence, a lake was located on the Quad to the front of the present-day Chancellor's Residence. In MU's early days, Lake Saint Mary was a popular place for boating in the summer and ice skating during the winter. The lake was also a popular courting place; Flirtation Walk ran over a section of the lake.
The graphic on the right is from a Campus Plan from 1872, which shows the location of the lake. Jan. 9, 1892 is a date etched into MU history. That evening, as the Athenaean Society prepared for a program in the chapel, a chandelier fell, starting a fire that destroyed Academic Hall. Most of the remains of Academic Hall were used to fill the lake, with the rest being buried at the site. More
In what year did MU celebrate its Sesquicentennial?
Answer: B. 1989
The first publicly supported institution of higher education established in the Louisiana Territory, the University of Missouri was shaped in accordance with the ideals of Thomas Jefferson, an early proponent of public higher education.The origin of the University of Missouri can be traced to a clause in the Act of 1820, which admitted Missouri to the Union. Federal legislation authorized the sale of two tracts of public lands with the proceeds to be for the use of a seminary of learning. By the 1830s, the legislature sold the land and sentiment mounted for the establishment of a university. By 1839, the fund amounted to about $100,000, and the state General Assembly passed two acts that provided for the establishment and location of the University of Missouri.
Which MU facility has been ranked by Sports Illustrated as “Best in the Country”?
A: Mizzou Athletic Training Complex
B: Student Rec Complex
C: Stankowski Field
Answer: B. Student Rec Center
With aspirations to make the Student Recreation Complex experience more memorable, 100-years worth of buildings were combined and transformed into one community. Several different leisure neighborhoods give the Recreation Complex a distinct personality. Inviting and welcoming to all its visitors, the streets of Downtown Brewer mimic the charm of our own downtown Columbia. Learn more
The first, full-time alumni director was appointed by President J.C. Jones in 1921. Who was it?
A: Robert E. Lee Hill
B: Richard Jesse
C: Charles Allen
Answer: A. Robert E. Lee Hill
In 1912, Hill received his Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture from the university. Later he earned his master's degree from MU and became the director of alumni activities. Hill's career also included serving as the editor of the Missouri Alumnus, MU's alumni magazine at the time. It was said that he had a handshaking acquaintance with more of his fellow Missourians than any other man in the state. More
Why is Sanborn Field important?
A: Original field of MU Football Tigers
B: Site for agriculture research discoveries since 1888
C: Site of MU Farmer's Market since 1934
Answer: B. Site for agriculture research discoveries since 1888
Sanborn Field, located at the corner of College and Rollins, has been the site of research investigations on soil treatments, erosion and cropping systems since it was established in 1888. It is also where the organism streptomyces aureofaciens, the source of the drug Aureomycin, was first found in a soil sample. Sanborn Field was designated as a Registered National Historic Landmark in 1965.
Whose nose do you rub for good luck on your next exam?
A: Beetle Bailey
B: David R. Francis
C: Faurotcious (Tiger in alumni center lobby)
D: Thomas Jefferson
Answer: B. David R. Francis
As a tribute to former governor of Missouri, David R. Francis, a statue stands at the north entrance of Jesse Hall to honor his successful fight to keep the University of Missouri campus in Columbia after the burning of Academic Hall. It is said that when a student rubs his nose, they will get an "A" on their next exam, a tradition so popular the nose has been replaced on multiple occasions throughout its time. Learn more about David Francis.
Prior to Truman, Mizzou had a male and female Tiger mascot. What were their names?
A: Tiger Mo & Mrs. Mo and/or Tiger and Little Tiger
B: Mr. and Mrs. Stripes
C: Tony and Tammy Tiger
Answer: A. Tiger Mo & Mrs. Mo and/or Tiger and Little Tiger
Read more about the progression of Mizzou's Tiger mascot.
Name the oldest alumni chapter of Mizzou.
A: Boston Chapter
B: St. Louis Chapter
C: Kansas City Chapter
D: Boone County Chapter
Answer: C. Kansas City
The Kansas City Alumni Chapter boasts a proud history of service to the University of Missouri since 1882. Learn more about the chapter.
Name the Mizzou grad who piloted the space shuttle, Columbia, in 1989.
A: Linda Godwin B: Dick Richards C: Jim Amos
Answer: B. Dick Richards
Richards received a bachelor of science degree in chemical engineering from the University of Missouri in 1969. In June 1992, Richards commanded the crew of STS-50 aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia. STS-50 was the first flight of the United States Microgravity Laboratory and the first extended duration Orbiter flight. Over a two-week period, the STS-50 flight crew conducted a wide variety of experiments relating to materials processing and fluid physics in a microgravity environment. At that time it was the longest Space Shuttle flight in history.
In September 1994, Richards commanded the STS-64 crew aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery. Mission highlights included: the first use of a space based laser for environmental research; deployment and retrieval of a spacecraft in support of solar wind and corona studies; robotic processing of semiconductors; maneuvering the robotic arm in close proximity to over 100 Shuttle reaction control system jet firings to measure forces imparted to a plume detection instrument in support of future Space Station/Shuttle rendezvous flights; first untethered space walk in 10 years to test a self-rescue jetpack. Mission duration was 10 days, 22 hours, 51 minutes. Read more
In the 1893 minutes of the annual alumni meeting it states, “The association will have an alumni room in the new main building where historical matter will be preserved.” What building are they referring to?
A: Switzler Hall
B: Academic Hall [later Jesse Hall]
C: Read Hall
Answer: Academic Hall [later Jesse Hall]
Did you know after the fire of 1892, which destroyed Academic Hall, a new building, was built just south of that site. Until 1922, it was commonly referred to as New Academic Hall. At that time, it was renamed Jesse Hall in honor of Richard H. Jesse, the University President until 1908. The west wing housed the library, and the east wing housed an Auditorium for "entertainment and erudition". The Auditorium played host to everything from spirit rallies to lectures to debates to theatrical productions. All the well-known orators of the day lectured there, everyone from William Jennings Bryan (January 13, 1900) to Amelia Earhart (October 17, 1936). Explore more about Jesse Hall.
Sallie Gentry Elston was the first woman to give the annual Alumni Address (called the Alumni Orator). She spoke on “Woman’s Work”. What year was it?
A: 1893 B: 1919 C: 1935
Read more about Sallie Gentry Elston.
The Alumni Association’s Faculty Incentive Grant Program was renamed in 2004 in honor of which chancellor?
A: Barbara Uehling
B: Haskell Monroe
C: Richard Wallace
Answer: Richard Wallace
The Mizzou Alumni Association supports the development of junior faculty through its Dr. Richard Wallace Research Incentive Grants program. Since its initiation in 1994, the alumni association has provided start-up funds to more than 100 faculty members for the initiation of research or professional development projects. More
The forerunner of MIZZOU magazine was called what?
Answer: Missouri Alumnus
MIZZOU magazine is widely regarded as the way for alumni to stay informed about the University of Missouri. It's been that way for 98 years. Whether you prefer to leaf through the print magazine or experience it online, the quarterly provides news and information about Mizzou to nearly a quarter of a million readers. More
What were alumni association dues in 1912?
A: 25¢ B: $1.00 C: $2.00
The alumni association dedicated Tiger Plaza in what year?
Designed as a meeting place for alumni, students, faculty, staff and visitors, Tiger Plaza symbolizes the pride Tigers feel in Mizzou. Helping alumni make a lifetime connection to campus is a vital role of the Association and Tiger Plaza serves as a symbol of that connection. More
What MU grad and famous artist made Beetle Bailey a household name?
Answer: Mort Walker, BA '48
A statue of Beetle Bailey sits near the former spot of the Shack, one of Mort's favorite campus hangouts. More
The first MU Commencement was in November 1843. How many students graduated?
2, 5, 8, 15, 39
The first commencement at MU in November 1843 had only two graduates and lasted three hours. The graduates, cousins Robert B. and Robert L. Todd, were cousins of Abraham Lincoln's wife Mary. More)
What is the Roll of Honor?
A: A list of students achieving a 3.75 GPA or higher.
B: A list of the citizens of Boone County that "subscribed" money to obtain the university for Columbia.
C: A record of donors to MU and the amount of their contributions.
D: The list of MU students participating in a Student Foundation philanthropy drive and the amount of pledges they generated.
Answer: Boone County citizens that subscribed money
Read more about the history of MU. Photo courtesy of MU Archives
The Columns on Francis Quadrangle are all that remain from what event?
A: A student riot that broke out after MU beat KU
B: A fire that destroyed Academic Hall
C: The earthquake of 1812 from the New Madrid fault line
Answer: Academic Hall fire
Read more about how MU alumni helped save the Columns.
Which former U.S. President’s tombstone is located next to Francis Quadrangle?
A: Zachary Taylor
B: Thomas Jefferson
C: Harry Truman
Answer: Thomas Jefferson
Jefferson Monument — Unveiled on July 4, 1885, the Jefferson Monument is the original tombstone of Thomas Jefferson from Monticello. It is located in front of The Residence on Francis Quadrangle where MU Chancellor Brady Deaton and his wife Anne live. Thomas Jefferson’s ideal of an “academical village” in which students would receive a broad education in the arts and sciences is the model for today’s American university. As the first public university in Jefferson’s Louisiana Purchase territory, MU reflects many of Jefferson’s ideals.
What Mizzou alumni won an Academy Award in 2003 for Actor in a Supporting Role?
A: Kate Chapshaw
B: Chris Cooper
C: Robert Loggia
D: Tom Berenger
Answer: Chris Cooper
Actor Chris Cooper, BGS '76, won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 2003 for his role in Adaptation, released in 2002. Originally from Kansas City, Cooper double-majored in agriculture and theatre while at the University of Missouri. After graduation, Cooper moved to New York to pursue his acting career, starring in several critically acclaimed films including American Beauty, Capote, October Sky and Seabiscuit. Cooper won his Oscar for his portrayal of John Laroche in Adaptation.
Legendary Mizzou football Coach Don Faurot invented which famous formation?
A: Spread offense
B: Split “T” formation
Answer: Split T formation
Don Faurot coached the Tigers from 1935 to 1956, leaving for three years to serve in the Navy during World War II. Under Faurot, the Tigers won three conference titles and went to four bowl games. Faurot also served as president of the American Football Coaches Association and recieved the Amos Alonzo Stagg award for distinguished service in the advancement of football. Faurot said that his greatest personal honor came when MU's playing surface was officially named Faurot Field in 1972.
What trophy is exchanged during the annual football game against Iowa State?
A: Bell Trophy
B: Telephone Trophy
C: Tiger Paw Trophy
Answer: Telephone Trophy
The trophy is symbolic of the telephones each school used to communicate with the coaches during a game between Mizzou and Iowa State prior to 1959, which were wired so each school could hear what was happening on the other sideline. Northwestern Bell Telephone Company of Ames created a trophy to commemorate the incident and it has been passed between the two schools since 1959. The trophy, which consists of a rotary telephone painted half gold, half red sits atop a wooden base, complete with a large metal plate detailing the result of every meeting between the two schools since the trophy's start.
How many secret societies reveal new members’ identities on Tap Day?
Tap Day is an annual ceremony dating back to 1927, Tap Day takes place in front of the columns, revealing the newest inductees to the university's six secret honors societies: Mortar Board Society, Rollins Society, LSV, QEBH, Omicron Delta Kappa and Mystical Seven. This honor, thought to be the highest at MU, is given to students, faculty, staff and alumni who demonstrate exceptional leadership, academic achievement and service to the community and the university.
Take me back to the Mizzou IQ page.